Monday 5 March 2012

food for thought.

Do you ever just stop and realise how lucky you are? I do. All the time. I'll go to the bathroom (I'll spare you the details), go to the sink, wash my hands and realise how simple those actions are, but how few people in the world can do them. I just walked from my flushing toilet (which uses more water in one flush than most third world citizens get in one day to drink), through my safe, spacious house, to my bathroom, where I can turn a tap and have running water whenever I want.

Now, it's exhausting to think like this constantly (believe me), but every once in a while; stop. Wherever you are, just stop what you're doing and think about how lucky you are. Studies have shown it can boost your wellbeing just by occasionally thinking about how fortunate you are and how many good things you have in your life.  The next time you feel ripped off 'cos your friends all got iPhones for their birthdays and your mum only gave you $100; stop. Your priorities are out of whack, and you need to remember: if you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment