Thursday 26 January 2012

Vegemite and beer.

Yep, it's that time of the year again. January 26th. Australia Day. Despite my constant complaints about our shitty summer, hot weather, and my country's Olympic-level racism, I am proud to be an Australian, and I do love my country.. most of the time. So generally on this day, I do what everyone else does: get absolutely drunk and sunburnt. But instead of going to the river, I do it in the privacy of my own home.

Today has been a pretty average Australia Day.  Last year I spent the 26th walking around an American high school trying to explain to people that we have our own version of their 4th of July. I asked my mum when the socially acceptable drinking time begins on Australia Day, and she said midday. I asked why it starts at midday, and not earlier, like 9 or 10 o'clock (I mean, what is more Australian than drinking when you first get up?). She replied "What is this, ANZAC day?". I laughed so damn hard, until I remembered that ANZAC day was sad.

Anyway, it's basically been a day of drinking beer, and gin and tonic. I haven't even had anything to eat today, but I've had 6 drinks. Whoops. Australia Day's nothing special, it's just a day off work where drunk bogans flock to the foreshore and gape at fireworks for half an hour. Yes, I'm pretty cynical. But I am honestly proud to be Australian. After spending a year (2010) away on exchange in the USA and Canada, it made me miss my country more than ever.

Now I am sitting here drinking, watching 30 Rock and doing crossword puzzles. Should I be doing more patriotic things? Like standing in the sun drinking VB? I would, but I'm one of those pasty, old-fashioned English-Australians. One of the downsides of starting drinking at midday is that everyone is drunk and angry by 5. Right now, I can hear arguing from the loungeroom.

I hope you enjoy your Australia day, despite the fact that most of you reading this are probably not in Australia (LOL, who am I kidding? No one's reading this).
Ciao for now.

-ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment